Sunday, September 23, 2012

Minor Catastrophe

We had a minor catastrophe at the apartment on Thursday. Although at the time, it didn't feel quite so minor. So... Ryan and I were going out of town for one night and my parents were coming to keep Hailey for us (already hard for me, first night being away from her). So I was cleaning the apartment, specifically the bathroom off of the master bedroom. I was wiping off the back of the toilet which had a picture resting on it. Well, the picture slid off of the back, in between the toilet tank and the wall, and severed the pipe that connects the toilet to the wall. (You know the one that has the knob on it kn case you ever need to turn the water off...) Yeah, completely broken in half, a geyser spraying out of the wall.

Of course Hailey was in there with me, just happily playing in her walker. Water is now spraying in her direction; didn't actually hit her though. Well, it's an apartment and I don't have any idea where the main water shut off thing is. So I have to grab Hailey and high-tail it up to the leasing office and tell them what happened. They called the maintenance people who met me back at my apartment and quickly turned off the main valve. But by that time there was two and a half inches of water in the bathroom, and it had traveled about three feet into my bedroom carpet. :(


 These pictures don't do the damage justice. It was TERRIBLE! Well, God was watching out for us and the carpet cleaning people just happened to be at the apartment complex that day. So they were able to immediately come and clean up the water. They sucked it up in the giant vacuum, put the furniture up on blocks and put two huge fans and a dehumidifier in our bedroom for the weekend.


 But, we couldn't sleep in the bedroom or use the toilet in the bathroom. Did you forget that my parents were coming for the weekend to keep Hailey because we were going out of town?!

Yeah, lots of fun. Thankfully, my parents were able to let the maintenance and carpet people in on Saturday to fix the toilet and check on the carpet drying process. Thankfully, we had another bathroom for them to use. Thankfully, the carpet is almost dry and they're going to shampoo it. Thankfully, it wasn't worse.

It does make for a good story, right?!

More on the weekend to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment